What can FIH Certification do for my field?
Protect your investment, certify your field!
To ensure that hockey fields are being built to the highest standard and that FIH Approved Products are being installed correctly, the FIH Quality Programme for Hockey Turf includes the certification of hockey fields.
A FIH Certified Field is independently tested by anto ensure it meets the requirements of the FIH Quality Programme for Hockey Turf. Tests include measurements of how the ball interacts with the playing surface, verifies adequate comfort and performance is being provided to ensure the well-being and protection of players and includes checks to confirm the field has been built to the dimensions, line marking, slope and surface drainage requirements of the FIH.
Field Certification also includes a comprehensive series of quality control checks to ensure the installed hockey turf product is the same as the FIH Approved Product; ensuring manufacturing and installation mistakes do not go undetected.
Why get certified?
By certifying your field you are not only demonstrating your commitment to the sport of hockey but you are also benefiting from the following:
- Independent quality assurance of the construction of the field and hockey turf installed, providing reassurance to players, national hockey associations, funding parties and insurance companies.
- Demonstration of best practice by showcasing that your field meets international standards and has benefited from over 30 years of international expertise in hockey turf.
- Increased worldwide promotion of your field through your presence on the FIH’s website and social media channels as well as the use of the FIH Quality Programme for Hockey Turf logo and a FIH Quality Programme Certificate of Registration for your field.
For competition organisers, field certification provides proof that the field is suitable for relevant levels of competition and is of a standard quality.
For those investing in hockey fields, certification provides independent assurance that the field has been built to the quality levels recommended through the use of approved products and proper design methodology, thus ensuring the longevity and sustainability of the facility.
For facility owners, field certification demonstrates that the facility is suitable for hockey andhelps reducte their potential liability in the event of an accident occurring.
For players, field certification provides confidence that the field has been designed and constructed to allow hockey to be played safely.
What types of hockey fields can be certified?
Any 11 a-side or Hockey 5s field that is being built or already exists, that has an Approved Hockey Turf playing surface can apply to become certified.
New fields less than 12 months old are certified for a period of three years. Fields older than 12 months that are either being tested for the first time or being retested after their initial certification has expired are certified for a period of two years.
The FIH certifies four different categories of hockey fields:
- Global Elite: Non-filled water based surfaces similar to Global level but meet the requirements for FIH top-level international competition.
- Global: non-filled water based surfaces that are primarily used for lower level international and top level national competitions
- National: normally sand dressed or sand filled surfaces designed primarily for hockey. This category of surface is normally used for lower level national, regional and community play.
- Multi-Sport: surfaces designed for a number of sports and on which basic community and development level hockey can be played.
How to get certified?
To have your field certified the standards are high, but the process is simple!
- Contact an near you and have them test your field.
- Once the Institute has made the field test and checked the installed Hockey Turf product is the same as the FIH Approved Product they prepare a FIH Test reports and send it to the FIH for review.
- If everything is found to be okay the report is approved and you will receive your certification!
For questions and more detailed information, contact.
FIH Preferred Suppliers are companies that manufacture hockey turf products and build hockey fields,to learn more.
FIH Certified Manufacturers are companies that specialise in the manufacturing of hockey turf,to learn more.
FIH Certified Field Builders are companies that specialise in building hockey fields,to learn more.
A FIH Certified Field is independently tested by an FIH Accredited Test Institute to ensure it meets the requirements of the FIH Quality Programme for Hockey Turf,to learn more.
All certifications under the FIH Quality Programme for Hockey Turf are based on tests undertaken by our Accredited Test Institutes,to learn more.