Officiating Education Pathway
The Officiating Education Pathway is for umpires and technical officials. It starts with a common online course followed by face-to-face courses that are specifically designed for the two roles.
The pathway is divided into 2 levels: Foundation and Advanced.
Foundation Level topics are:
- Role of the Official: roles, qualities, and characteristics of an FIHA Official
- The Game: rules and values of hockey, relevant technical components of the game
- The Athlete: athlete expectations about officials and officiating
- Officiating Theory: relevant officiating knowledge
- Preparing to Officiate: preparing the environment, facilities, equipment, safety and emergency procedures
- Plan, Do, Review: planning, goal setting, game strategy, evaluation
Advanced Level then develops on one or more of the Foundation Level topics in order to provide officials with specific training for their career level (national, international, etc.). The second level will develop one or more of these topics in order to provide officials with specific training for their officiating career level (national, international, etc.).