Olympic Games London 2012
London, Great Britain - July 30 - 11, 2012

PAK V RSA ( Pool A ) Olympic Games London 2012

5 - 4

Match Review PAK - RSA 5-4


Team Minute Shirt # Player Action Score
RSA 2 18 McDADE Thornton FG 0 - 1
PAK 20 9 KHAN Abdul FG 1 - 1
RSA 22 25 REID-ROSS Justin PC 1 - 2
PAK 23 15 RASOOL Shafqat FG 2 - 2
PAK 25 9 KHAN Abdul FG 3 - 2
RSA 35 25 REID-ROSS Justin PC 3 - 3
RSA 38 2 PATON Wade FG 3 - 4
PAK 64 11 ABBAS Sohail PC 4 - 4
PAK 67 17 AHMED Waseem FG 5 - 4


Team Minute Shirt # Player Type
RSA 9 3 CRONJE Andrew G
PAK 34 8 BHUTTA Muhammad Umar G


DNP = Did not participate
S = Suspended
DSQ = Disqualified

Match Officials

Role Official
Umpire 1 SERVETTO Marcelo
Umpire 2 HUTCHINSON Colin
Reserve Umpire STAGNO Nathan
Judge 1 BUDEISKY Alberto
Judge 2 AGUILERA Antonio
Technical Officer McCRACKEN Jason

Nine goals were scored in this match played under heavy rain, with the score seesawing between the two teams.

South Africa were not deterred by the rain coming down heavily on the Riverbank Arena and a swift combination in the 3rd minute found Thornton Mcdade alone in the circle. He took his time to adjust a shot to beat Imran Shah in the Pakistani goal and open the scoring. Pakistan tried to get away from the South African pressure, mostly with long runs by Shakeel Abbasi, but it took them 15 minutes to have their first opportunity on goal, a penalty-corner, but Sohail Abbas’s low flick was coolly handled by Erasmus Pieterse in the South African goal.

In the 20th minute, Abdul Haseem Khan was at the conclusion of a decisive circle penetration by Shafqat Rasool to cap a period of domination for Pakistan and tie the game. A flurry of scoring suddenly ensued. South Africa regained the lead with a penalty-corner by Justin Reid-Ross, Pakistan equalized in the next breath by Shafqat Rasool, very active today, before taking the lead very soon after by Abdul Haseem Khan!

South Africa forced a penalty-corner with a few seconds left on the clock and Justin Reid-Ross made no mistake to score his second penalty-corner of the match to tie the game at 3-3 going into the half-time break.

In the opening minutes of second period, with rain still pouring down heavily and spectators fleeing the stands for cover, Wade Paton intercepted a clearance from the Pakistani goalkeeper to slam the ball in goal and put back South Africa in the lead 4-3!  Pakistan pushed the South African defense on their heels during most of the period, creating some excellent chances. Shakeel Abbasi had a golden opportunity when he received a cross in front of the empty goal but the ball bounced over his waiting stick. Just after, a shot by Shafqat Rasool was miraculously saved by a diving Andrew Cronje.

It seemed only a matter of time for Pakistan to find the target and, with six minutes left on the clock, they earned a penalty-corner and this time Sohail Abbas slotted his flick in the top corner to tie the score at 4-4, setting up an intense finish of match.

Finally, in the 67th minute, Waseem Ahmad found the ball in a goalmouth scramble to give the lead back to Pakistan. They managed to keep it until the end to record their second win of the competition, while the South African were totally dejected to have let the win slip away from their grasp, leaving them at the bottom of Pool A with only one point.

(Yan Huckendubler)

  • Match 20
  • Date Sun, 5 Aug 2012
  • Time 10:45
  • Pool/Class Pool A
  • Venue

Our website uses cookies

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the FIH website. To find out more about our data policy please click here