As the Lee Valley Hockey Centre on the Queen Elizabeth Park gears up for the men’s and women’s Champions Trophy, we take a look at some of the activities aimed at the thousands of spectators who will be passing through the gates between 10-17 June for the men’s event and 18-26 June for the women’s event.
One thing that the 2014 World Cup in The Hague and the 2015 Unibet EuroHockey Championships in London has proven is that additional activities in and around the ground are always well received by the fans. Gaps between games, breaks between sessions and the time before the games start and the action ends are all opportunities for the fans to engage in hockey-related activities or grab a quick bite to eat or a drink.
Food stalls with cuisine from around the world, shops selling hockey goodies, activities where fans can test their hockey skills or places where friends can meet for a drink and a discussion about the games they have just seen all add to the carnival, fun atmosphere.
Here are the top 10 things that fans at Lee Valley Hockey Centre will be able to do during breaks from the action on the pitch:
- Create lasting memories at our fan photo locations. They are spread out across the venue and with calls to action clearly displayed don’t miss your chance to share the fun with the teams
- Try the latest Olympic sport “Snooky”. That’s right, this addictive game is half hockey half snooker, we think it is bound to catch on. You’ll find our custom table up in Festival Square.
- American hot dogs? German frankfurters? British bangers? Whatever nationality’s cuisine you fancy, you will find it at the Street Market. With fresh food on offer from each and every competing nation, make sure you seize the opportunity to try something new, or show your support via your stomach!
- Test your skills at The Hockey Hub. Aimed at all ages and abilities, there is loads to do throughout the tournament. Try out the activities on our inflatable pitch; have a go at stick duel, speed cage, Instagram printers and much much more.
- Satisfy that souvenir itch. With all your merchandising needs covered - from replica shirts to hockey sticks - our giant retail store has it all and is located on Festival Square. You will also find even more bars, catering outlets and plenty of big screens showing match day highlights and live sports.
- Celebrate the English summer, visit the Pimms Garden for a cooling drink and some fresh ice cream
- Looking forwards to Rio? Then lets turn the party into a carnival. Visit the FIH “Last Stop Rio!” activation space. With our very own Copacabaña, photo booth and a London Taxi there is plenty to get you moving
- Hot up on your hockey knowledge and learn all about the history of the sport in The Hockey Museum
- Grab your Hockey Champions Trophy Passport. Be sure to pick up a copy from one of our Hockey Makers for a chance to win great prizes
- This is your tournament, so for every match back a team, get your face painted, and bring the noise! Together you will make the Hockey Champions Trophy 2016 an unforgettable experience.
To find out more fan information, click here.
Don't miss out on any of the fun, buy tickets for the Hockey Champions Trophy 2016 in London by clicking here.